Large North Idaho hospital seeking a quality Sterile Processing Tech for FT day position!
Responsible for receiving, disassembling, and using chemical and mechanical processes to disinfect instruments, endoscopes, and equipment that are mildly to grossly contaminated with infectious bioburden. Utilizes electrical conductivity, demagnetizers, and leak test equipment to identify and correct leaks, failures, and defects in surgical and procedural equipment. Utilizes count sheets to assemble, wrap, containerize, and peel pack instruments. Operates high pressure, high temperature, and low temperature sterilizers, including hydrogen peroxide gas plasma, to destroy microorganisms on critical items, reaching a sterility assurance level (SAL) of 10-6th. Utilizes liquid chemical peracetic acid and glutaraldehyde to high level disinfect semi-critical devices to prevent disease transmission to patients and staff. Utilizes dynamic air removal (dart) tests, chamber leak tests, and biological spore tests, incubates and checks for spore growth, to ensure sterilization equipment is functioning properly. Documents and records sterilizer results. Works in a restricted access area.
* Utilizes aseptic technique, standard precautions, and personal protective equipment (P.P.E)
* Distributes single use supplies and checks to ensure they are not outdated
* Pulls single use supplies for case carts based on physician preference for all scheduled surgeries
* Proper use and handling of caustic agents and chemicals
* Utilize quality assurance documents and software programs for instrument tracking, sterilization record keeping, and supply distribution/materials management functions
* Safely utilizes department specific testing equipment to diagnose and treat equipment failures to include replacing parts, demagnetizing, polishing, sending out for repair, or removing from service and documenting need for non-repairable replacement.
* Operates sterilizers and high-level disinfectors, and identifies specific instrumentation and equipment that is appropriate for each process
* Operates drying cabinets and heat sealers and can troubleshoot operational failures
* Utilizes count sheet and preference cards to assemble instrument sets and case carts based on Physician preference
* Maintains record of inventory and equipment processed, to include sterilization method, results, and patient information, as required by governing standards
* Demonstrates knowledge and utilization of department standards and processes to include AAMI/ANSI, AORN, and IAHCSMM standards and best practices
* Deciphers and understands medical terminology as it relates to Sterile Processing functions
* Shows understanding of cause and spread of infectious diseases as they relate to Sterile Processing functions
* Demonstrates knowledge of and can use current instrument tracking system to update set lists, upload pictures, and create/add new sets as needed
* Performs other related duties as assigned
Requirements and Minimum Qualifications:
* High school diploma or equivalent required
* Successful completion all training requirements and competencies as Sterile Processing Tech In Training
* Central Service Certification (C.R.C.S.T.) through the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials Management (I.A.H.C.S.M.M.) required within 2 years of hire
* Familiar with AAMI & AORN recommended Practices and Standards and other industry standards and best practices
* Has knowledge of and can use office suite programs to create documents and spreadsheets as needed
* Ability to learn and use software programs to document and process record keeping